Today is my Mom’s birthday! Past 50 and still looking gorgeous. In honor of one of the most extraordinary women I know, here is a recap of what has happened in past years on this day:
- 1429 – French forces under the leadership of Joan of Arc defeat the main English army under Sir John Fastolf at the Battle of Patay. This turns the tide of the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1767 – Samuel Wallis, an English sea captain, sights Tahiti and is considered the first European to reach the island.
- 1778 – American Revolutionary War: British troops abandon Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1812 – War of 1812: the U.S. Congress declares war on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1873 – Susan B. Anthony is fined $100 for attempting to vote in the 1872 presidential election.
- 1953 – The Republic of Egypt is declared and the monarchy is abolished.
- 1981 – The AIDS epidemic is formally recognized by medical professionals in San Francisco, California.
- 1983 – Space Shuttle program: STS-7, Astronaut Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space.
My mom shares her birthday with the following famous people:
Roger Ebert, Paul McCartney, Isabella Rossellini, Carol Kane, Nathan Morris of Boys II Men, and Blake Shelton.
Not too shabby for the 169th day of the year (170th in leap years!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I LOVE YOU!